Penn State Wireless for Departments
We've Got You Covered—No Wires Attached!
Departments may choose one of the following services based on needs or current configuration.
- Penn State Wireless: A college or department can work with the Office of the Vice Provost for Information Technology (OVPIT) to create wireless networking areas in its building. OVPIT can design, implement, and maintain the wireless LAN network. Contact OVPIT through the web Service Inquiry Form or phone (814) 865-1696.
- Penn State Wireless Assist: OVPIT also offers an easy and secure method for connecting an existing wireless LAN to the Penn State Wireless network using state-of-the-art encryption technology. Contact OVPIT through the Service Inquiry Form or phone (814) 865-1696 to begin the process. Refer to the explanation of wireless 2.0 for network administrators PDF document (revised as of 7/17/12) as a guide through the configurations necessary to connect with Penn State Wireless.
NOTE: Data security is of primary importance. With wireless technology anyone within range using the right equipment could eavesdrop and gain access to the wireless system. However, OVPIT currently provides the Penn State community with a trusted computing environment.
Penn State Wireless (also known as Wireless 2.0) offers the latest generation of Penn State Wireless Services. The service connects to a wireless signal named "psu" and requires a one-time setup. This service incorporates recent authentication and encryption methods that are aimed at providing an improved level of security and performance.
- Departmental inquiries or requests for Wireless 2.0 service should be submitted through the OVPIT Service Inquiry Form or by calling 814-865-1696.
- Before requesting Penn State Wireless 2.0, we recommend that you review the explanation of wireless 2.0 for network administrators PDF document (revised as of 7/17/12) that provides details about the operation and configuration parameters for the service.
Penn State Visitor Wireless service has been developed to enable 802.11 devices to receive internet services from a third party provider.
- Campuses, colleges, and departments may opt-in to have Visitor Wireless in their building(s) or in certain areas of their building(s). There is no cost for the service when added to existing Penn State Wireless networks.
- Inquiries or requests for Visitor Wireless service should be submitted through the OVPIT Service Inquiry Form or by calling 814-865-1696.
Before requesting any of Penn State's Wireless service(s), we recommend that you review the Penn State Wireless FAQ.
Whatever Your Wireless Needs, We Can Help.